This is where I try to pass on what little I know to a new generation of parent-educators, encouraging them as they teach their children, challenging them in their philosophies of education and choice of curricula, and inspiring them to innovation and creativity.

My greatest desire is for homeschool families to experience the joy of discovery, and for homeschooled children to be blessed with lifelong curiosity and a deep understanding of many subjects. My greatest concern is that the movement is too bureaucratic, too enamored of public school methods, and too commercialized. My greatest fear is that independent home education will die. Yet, my greatest hope is that home educators will come together in groups that focus on personal connection and instructional enrichment, rather than on creating school-like environments. My educational preferences are eclectic, (mostly) non-traditional, relational and unhurried, and rigorous of thought. My focus is primarily on homeschooling in Connecticut.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chalkboards!

Angel by older students
Today, while Katherine the Great (my daughter) was at choir practice, my husband and I trekked over to Home Depot to investigate supplies for creating chalkboards.  Our homeschool support group is having a Curiosity Class on Tuesday;  topic:  Sidewalk Chalk Art.  The plan is to divide the kids into two groups by age, Kindergarten through twelve years old and teens.  Each group will work together to create a chalk "painting" that will use some basic concepts illustrated by a classic piece of artwork.  For example, the older children may work on learning some of the skills used by Monet in his water lily paintings, while the younger set may work on re-creating a Mondrian with his bright blocks of color.  I do not know exactly what the art teacher has in mind, but she has done some wonderful things with the kids in the past.

Artwork by younger children
To create our chalkboards, King Richard (my husband) purchased five 2'x4' pieces of 1/4" birch plywood and spray painted them with chalkboard paint.  Four of the boards will be used for the group project.  Two boards will be pushed together to create a 4'x4' drawing space.  The fifth board will be cut into smaller pieces so the preschool age kids can doodle on them while their older siblings enjoy their class.  Hopefully, I will have some photos of the finished art projects.

Photos added September 29, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment