This is where I try to pass on what little I know to a new generation of parent-educators, encouraging them as they teach their children, challenging them in their philosophies of education and choice of curricula, and inspiring them to innovation and creativity.

My greatest desire is for homeschool families to experience the joy of discovery, and for homeschooled children to be blessed with lifelong curiosity and a deep understanding of many subjects. My greatest concern is that the movement is too bureaucratic, too enamored of public school methods, and too commercialized. My greatest fear is that independent home education will die. Yet, my greatest hope is that home educators will come together in groups that focus on personal connection and instructional enrichment, rather than on creating school-like environments. My educational preferences are eclectic, (mostly) non-traditional, relational and unhurried, and rigorous of thought. My focus is primarily on homeschooling in Connecticut.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Shakespearean Fairy Tales

Over the past few days, this video has circulated amongst my friends on Facebook.  I think it is hilarious but, more than that, it is an example of what could be used as an assignment for an English class, especially if you were studying poetry or Shakespeare.  A couple of years ago, my homeschool group held a class where the high school kids read aloud Much Ado About Nothing.  If I were to repeat that class today, I would do a bit more work on understanding iambic pentameter and would probably ask the kids to rewrite a favorite fairy tale as if they were Shakespeare retelling the story.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment