This is where I try to pass on what little I know to a new generation of parent-educators, encouraging them as they teach their children, challenging them in their philosophies of education and choice of curricula, and inspiring them to innovation and creativity.

My greatest desire is for homeschool families to experience the joy of discovery, and for homeschooled children to be blessed with lifelong curiosity and a deep understanding of many subjects. My greatest concern is that the movement is too bureaucratic, too enamored of public school methods, and too commercialized. My greatest fear is that independent home education will die. Yet, my greatest hope is that home educators will come together in groups that focus on personal connection and instructional enrichment, rather than on creating school-like environments. My educational preferences are eclectic, (mostly) non-traditional, relational and unhurried, and rigorous of thought. My focus is primarily on homeschooling in Connecticut.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Titus Brigade

A few weeks ago, a homeschool friend sent some information to me about a new mentoring effort within the homeschooling movement.  Since I am a veteran homeschool mom who still volunteers in my local homeschool community, she thought I might be interested (which I am).  The following is from the website of Mary Hood, Archers for the Lord®:
The Titus Brigade is our new mentoring program.  We are hoping to encourage older, experienced homeschooling mothers and ex-homeschooling mothers to act as mentors to younger, less experienced moms.


- snip -


Please help us get the word out about this program.  We're hoping it will grow into a national movement!  New homeschoolers are being barraged with curriculum choices and urged to tie into formal, accredited programs.  They need to be reminded of other choices, and that they can do a good job on their own in a relaxed, family-oriented environment.
I am interested in learning more about this program, possibly to provide a way (through my local homeschool support group) for the veteran homeschool moms in my area to help the younger generation tackle the challenges of home education so that everyone, parents and children alike, enjoy the journey while cultivating a deep desire to understand many different subjects and while learning many different skills and abilities, and doing this on a timeline that fits your family.  If you, too, are a veteran homeschool mom who wants to minister to homeschoolers in your locale, visit Archers for the Lord®.

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored. --- Titus 2:3-5 (NASB)

Note:  No compensation was received for promoting this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment